Thursday, October 20, 2016

Progress Report: A Gap in my Research

After researching into the broader conversation on my topic, I realize I have come across a gap amidst the scholarship on interpersonal communication. The larger conversation focuses majorly on cultural communication when people are integrated from two foreign macrocultures. However, few have looked into the issues of communication that occurs when people from different microcultures communicate. When one comes from the same macroculture, it seems logical that they will be able to communicate with someone who has the same broad cultural influences. However, people neglect to realize that our socializations from a variety of microcultures affect our abilities to communicate with those around us as well. 

Within a single subculture, which is defined as a smaller section of a broader macroculture, there are thousands of microcultures that define a person's identity. A microculture is an aspect of the subculture that a person identifies himself or herself with. For the purpose of my project, I am looking into microcultural communication between my personal microculture, Laguna Beach and Southern California, and the microculture, which I have attended college in. By examining the microculture of Lexington and Southern California, I will be able to definitely make a statement about the issues that occur when people from different microcultures communicate. By drawing from my own experiences, and collaborating them with evidence from other Southern Californian's experiences in Lexington, I will be able to definitively answer this question. 


At this point in my project, I am in the midst of my research speaking with and conducting interviews with others in order to see if my experiences are similar to theirs. I have drawn from my personal experiences and now I am in the process of collaborating them with the experiences of my interviewees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment