Thursday, October 27, 2016

Reflection on Self throughout Senior Seminar

As a writer, I consider myself to be a strong arguer. I always have an opinion and I am not afraid to share it within my writing. In compiling my Writerly Portfolio, I discovered that my strongest pieces were ones in which I felt passionate about the topic, and was able to form a well thought out argument to support said opinion. Overall, I say the theme of my work is passion.

Throughout the writing portfolio process, It was fun to look back and remember the excitement I had with each project that I felt connected to. Many of those projects focused on my hometown in one way or another. For example my speech on  the California Avocado Obsession will always be a favorite. I let my passion drive my work and my opinions, in order to create projects that are very personal to me, while making a statement that is relevant to my audience.

The biggest gaps that occur when I write in such a manner falls in to the minute details of a project. I tend to think to much "big picture" and not enough about the details that compose that larger idea. Many times, I look at a project I love, and I realize I could have done an entire project on one aspect of that project alone. I always want to go big, and tackle the ideas head on, but I need to be careful not to overlook the details, or give myself too much to take on, in the amount of time that I have.

My goals for Senior Seminar basically included creating a meaningful project that would be of use to me past my time at Transy, and also learning about myself and my future my looking back on my time at Transy. Focusing on microculture, has really helped me define my experience, and help me to realize how I have grown not only as a writer, and a student in my time at Transy, but also as a person. Studying in a different microculture taught me lessons that I would have not been able to learn had I stayed in California for school. While it was difficult, it inspired my writing, and made me a more well rounded thinker.

I hope moving forward, that my Senior Seminar project will continue to help me build on these concepts and qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment