Monday, September 19, 2016

Writing is a Passion

Today's society focuses so much on the academic side of writing. So many people grow up believing they are bad writers because they didn't do well in English class, or don't allow themselves to grow as writers because they lean more towards math or science skill sets.

People tend to forget that there are a variety of reasons to write. Hooks and Anzaldua wrote for different reasons, but at the end of the day, they both write because it is their passion. They write because, at the end of the day, they have stories to tell. Humans all have their own stories to tell, and one of the best ways to tell that story is to write it down and get your emotions out on paper.

Just like Hooks and Anzaldua, I fell in love with writing at a young age. I too would stay awake under the covers with a flashlight reading autobiographies because I loved to transport myself into the world and life of the writer. I fell in love with the art of telling a story.

It is a funny thought that something I fell in love with so long ago, plays such a vital role in my adult life. Not only do I want to pursue journalism and writing as a career, but I am using my life experiences to try to make sense of my own story for my senior seminar project.

I am thinking about writing an autoethnography about culture shock for my senior thesis. It is perplexing because I want to write something of value, and I want my story to matter to the people who read about my college experience in the south. However, just as Anzaldua wrote what was in her heart, and told her story, I must do the same. All I need to do is write what is in my heart and draw from my life in order to give my opinions and emotions validity. At the same time, I must write for myself, and not just for my audience. I want this project to tell my story, and the only way to do that is to be completely honest with myself as I am writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment